Thursday, September 09, 2004

 

Bush Flip Flops, Too!

The Pubs are great at pointing out Kerry's flip-flops (some true, some not, some unimportant even if true). What's interesting to me is how much the media portrays Bush as a man of resolve, with many pundits saying that whatever you think of Bush, you know where he stands. He's stubborn. He doesn't change his mind.

Bullshit. He's changed his mind about many things. I happen to admire that, being a woman who cherishes the right to change my mind at whim. I just think it's stupid for people to think the President NEVER flip-flops.

To my friend Patrick who challenged me to find ONE incident of the President flip-flopping, I present you with
this list. I could also provide you with a list of Kerry's, but I suspect we've all heard enough of that. Time to even the score a bit.

This Just In (9/23): a thoughtful exploration of this topic from the Washington Post, detailing both candidates' flip flops and the media's role in cementing the impressions we have.

Comments:
Just for the record... a "flip-flop" doesn't mean changing one's opionion. In that case, to change one's opinion is to merely flip. Many would argue that being "flippable" is good virtue.

"Flip-Flop" means to have a position, change it, then change it again (hence the flop). Typically not under the guise of new information and facts, but to change due to "political winds, polls, or the general desire to be all things to all people".

I would suggest that yes, GW has flipped on a couple of issues. Again, I think that's a good trait in cases when the context such as being a Governor and having parochial interests is different from being President and having global interests.

Kerry on the other hand gives me the very Clinton-esque behavior of saying whatever he needs to e.g. I'm anti-war with the anti-war crowd, but then trying to have it both ways by saying "I was for the war but just would have done it differently" with the more hawkish crowd.

Sherean, if you can find any examples of that from GW, I'd gladly concede some territory on the "flip-flop" issue. What you listed under this entry for GW doesn't alarm me at all and would be akin to comparing me and Michael Jordan. We both play basketball well, but Jordan's at a whole other level of fame for doing it....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?